What am I doing wrong?

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:13 AM

I am trying to select two groups of photos which I want to add to two new sets.  The following notes list what I am doing.  The photos reach my Flickr account but they don't seem to be put into sets.  I'm using Windows XP.  Thanks in advance,

Martin

using Schedulr:

Select QUEUE from top memu

Click Add Batch from the bottom menu

Select the photos for the first batch, watch progress bar at top

(Ctrl-A to select all - is this needed?), right panel opens.

Insert description and tags

Click on Batch for new set.

Click checkbox and add name and description

check scheduler or repeat for second batch

Click Shuffle batch

Clear scheduler

Set scheduler.  

Click Create, and enable should be on.  

Confirm Next Run Time. "The scheduled task is active"

Upload starts, a few seconds after the set time.BUT photos are added to Flickr but no sign of a new set

Coordinator
Oct 5, 2012 at 11:31 AM

When you shuffle the batch, there should be a message that says:

All the files in the queue will be shuffled and all batch settings will be reset. Are you sure you want to continue?

So effectively this includes the setting that creates a set for the batch. After you shuffle, you should select a photo in the batch again and go back to the Batch tab to configure the Set.

Hopefully that helps...

Cheers,

Jelle

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Jelle, thank you.  Could you confirm  this.?  After doing the batch shuffle I must open the batch, select the pictures for set one, specify the set details, then repeat for set two.  And also for any further sets?  Is that my only option?  It is a bit laborious if the sets are large.

thanks,

Martin 

Coordinator
Oct 5, 2012 at 11:42 AM

No, fortunately it's not that difficult. You can only create a Set for an entire batch that is defined in Schedulr. So if you choose to create a Set, it will contain all the pictures in that batch.

The way you configure this is to select any picture in a batch (doesn't matter which) and in the Batch tab you configure the set as you've already done. To configure another Set, you select a picture from the batch that will contain all those pictures and do the same.

Hopefully that's clear?

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I will try it and report back.

Thanks,

Martin 

Oct 5, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I'm still not clear on something somewhere!  I add a set, and add descriptions and tags.  Repeat for second set.  Shuffle batch.  Select a picture from first set and add NEW Set details.  Select a picture from second set and add NEW Set details.  That changes all the first set too.

What am I doing wrong still?

Martin

Coordinator
Oct 5, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I'm confused. So what you need to understand is that a batch in Schedulr is a collection of pictures to be uploaded in one go. So in the application you will see "batches". Optionally, you can make all pictures of that entire batch be added to a Set in Flickr. So when you make changes to the "Batch" tab (to specify the Set) this is independent of the picture you selected, it simply applies to all pictures of the same batch. So if you want to add pictures to different sets, they must be in different batches as well.

Now shuffling the batches removes all batch-specific settings like the Sets. So make sure to organize your batches first, then configure the Set belonging to each batch.

Oct 5, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Right,  I think I've got that, the concept of t a batch in Schedulr.  Can I configure it to upload two or more batches in one scheduled event?  

Martin

Coordinator
Oct 5, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Ah, no you can't do that. You could make the scheduled task repeat one time after 1 minute for example, so you can sort of simulate that though. Through the application you can make it repeat after an hour (set it up to "Repeat every 1 hour(s) for a duration of 1 hour(s)"), but if you want something quicker, you should open the task itself in Windows Scheduled Tasks and adjust it there.

Oct 5, 2012 at 2:48 PM

I like the idea of "Repeat every 1 hour(s) for a duration of 1 hour(s)".  What do you think might/would happen if the first batch hadn't finished after one hour (i.e. slow internet upload connection)?  This goes back to my original problem of needing to schedule uploads during my ISP's free period.

PS, I didn't kjnow about Windows Scheduled Tasks despite 30 years in IT (some of it DOS 2.2 though!)

Thanks.

Martin 

Coordinator
Oct 8, 2012 at 10:04 AM

What Flickr Schedulr does is simply create a Windows Scheduled Task behind the scenes with the basic setting you provide in the application, but you can configure much more than that directly through Windows.

What happens to tasks that are still running when a new instance is requested depends on the settings in Windows Scheduled Tasks: you can make it wait for the first to complete, you can skip running the second, you can stop the first, or you can run both at the same time. By default, it will skip running a second instance of the task if the first one is still running.

Oct 8, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Thank you!!

Martin