This project is read-only.

Stops working after a few days?

Jul 24, 2012 at 6:08 AM
Edited Jul 24, 2012 at 6:08 AM

Hey, I love schedulr. It does exactly what I have been looking for.  But I keep having problems with it not working regularly.  It will upload a photo every day at a specific time for a few nights in a row, then it stops for a few nights.  So I open it back up and it shows that a photo is scheduled for the next day, so I close it.  Sometimes it will upload it the next day, sometimes it won't.  Anyhow, point is that it sometimes seems to forgot to upload.  Anything I can do to fix that? Thanks, Chris

Jul 24, 2012 at 9:50 PM

It can be either the fact that the Windows Scheduled Task didn't execute (and so Schedulr wasn't even started), or it was started but encountered an error. If you take a look at the log file (click the Account link at the top right and select Open Log File), you should be able to see if the application actually got started or not.

• If it didn't, open up the Windows Task Scheduler and enable task history for your Schedulr task. You should be able to determine from there if something went wrong. You can also check the Windows Application Event Log for errors at the time the task should have started.
  • If the Windows Scheduled Task did launch Schedulr, the log file should show what it did and if it found any files to upload or not, or if it encountered an error.

Hopefully this gets you a bit closer to understanding what's going on... Let me know what you find!

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Hey, sorry it took me so long to get back.  I was on vacation, then it took a little while for the problems to show up so I could try to track it down.

So its happening consistently again.  About 50% of the time I'm having to start the upload manually since schedulr somehow misses the task.
What I'm seeing in the schedulr logs is nothing.  I'm not seeing any errors about it being unable to upload, or execute or anything.  It looks like it just isn't being run on schedule.
So I tried to look at the Windows task scheduler logs and I also didn't see any errors.  But I'm not sure I know exactly where to look here.  Can you think of any good reason why my windows would randomly choose to not run a task?  Maybe I have my schedule settings wrong?  I'm trying to have it run 2 times a day.  So I have it set to run every 12 hours for 12 hours I think.  That seems odd to me, but based on the inputs allowed, I guess it makes sense?
Anyhow, thanks for your help so far.  Any additional help tracking this down would be awesome.  I love schedulr (minus this little hiccup).  Thanks!
Chris
Sep 12, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Ok so because the logs are empty, it's not Schedulr itself but the Windows scheduled task that either isn't starting (but then I think it should show something in the Windows Event Log) or that it's just not configured correctly.

On the Schedule page of the application, which settings do you have? And under Status, is the "Next Run Time" correct every time? Meaning, if the next run time is what you expect but it's effectively not running at that time, you could turn on Task History to get more details on the tasks and its history. If the next run time isn't always what you wanted, let me know when it's not right and I'll try to reproduce the problem or see which configuration you'd need.

Cheers,

Jelle

Sep 13, 2012 at 8:30 AM
Edited Sep 13, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Ok, here is what my schedulr task setup looks like. Under status, the next run time looks right. But notice the previous run time. Its a few days ago. And I'm guessing that its not actually going to run at 9:00am tomorrow morning. It will miss that one, just like it has since the 9th.

Inline image 1
I'll try to turn on Task History. Is that something I do inside of the Windows Task Scheduler?
Chris
Sep 13, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I would put "Repeat every 12 hours for a duration of 23 hours" just to make sure that the repeated run is definitely within the range (since in your case the task will repeat after 12 hours until 12 hours have passed so it could be just in or out that time range, I don't know how it works internally if that counts or not).

But regardless, if it isn't running on the next scheduled run time (in your case 9:00 AM) then it's not the task configuration itself of course. Task History is indeed something inside of the Windows Task Scheduler. You can open Task Scheduler and find your task in the root with the name provided on the screen ("Flickr Schedulr (90066280@N00)" in your case). If you open the task, it has a "History" tab. Potentially you need to enable task history on the right of the Task Scheduler window.

And just to cover the basics: I assume that your computer is always running and that your user is always logged on? Because the task is configured as such, so it won't run if you're logged off or in sleep mode.

Sep 17, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Ok, the basics.  Here's what I think I've discovered so far.  Yes, I leave my computer on.  I don't have multiple accounts so it never gets "logged out".  But I think it is going into a sleep mode.  And I'm guessing that might be the problem.  I went into the task manager and found the task and I clicked the box to tell task manager to wake my computer from sleep mode for this task.  And its run perfectly the last 4 or 5 uploads.  So I'll keep monitoring that, but at this point that seems to have done the trick.  Thanks for all your help!  I'll let you know if it turns out to be more than this though,

Chris